Sunday

"This way." Indy took off for the far side of the bedroom, flung open the door there, and waited for me to run through. I found myself at the top of a set of stairs, a balcony leading off to the left. I'd just hit the bottom step when the first rounds started zinging past me.

Indy pointed to the right, so I took off in that direction.

A glance behind me showed Herbert had brought the full group along. I felt like a shit shooting at my old high school associate, but hell, he was shooting at me.

Then I started having a good time shooting at him and his friends. I mean, he was shooting at me! The way the idiots clustered made me wish I'd brought along some grenades.

My left leg went out from under me, dropping me to the ground. I rolled, but couldn't get back up. "Indy."

Indy slid to a stop, swung his gun around and laid down fire as he jogged back to me. "You've been hit."

"Leg won't hold." I tried again, shooting in an arc around me while I did so.

"Fuck." Indy bent down, grabbed me tight around the waist and heaved me to my feet. "Keep firing."

With Indy mostly carrying me, we made our retreat around the side of the house to where he'd left the motorcycle. He leaned me against the fence while he checked the bike quickly for tampering, then he helped me mount it.
"Hang on!" He fired it up then hit the accelerator.

To be continued...

No comments: